From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 91 12:38:48 EDT
Results from Tuesday's games at the World Hockey Championships:

At Turku:
     Czechoslovakia 7, Germany 1
     Sweden 4, Switzerland 3

At Helsinki:
     Canada 5, Finland 3
     Soviet Union 12, United States 2

Standings:
Team              W    L    T   Pts.   GF   GA
Soviet Union      4    0    0     8    25    6
Canada            4    0    0     8    15    8
Sweden            2    0    2     6    20   12
Czechoslovakia    2    2    0     4    12    8
Finland           1    2    1     3     9   12
United States     1    2    1     3    13   21
Switzerland       0    4    0     0     5   14
Germany           0    4    0     0     7   25

Upcoming games:

Thursday, 4/25:

     At Turku:
          Sweden vs. Czechoslovakia
          Soviet Union vs. Canada

     At Tampere:
          Switzerland vs. United States
          Finland vs. Germany

Friday, 4/26:

     At Turku:
          Canada vs. Sweden
          Czechoslovakia vs. Soviet Union

     At Tampere:
          Germany vs. United States
          Switzerland vs. Finland

Sunday, 4/28:

     At Turku:
          United States vs. Finland
          Soviet Union vs. Sweden

     At Tampere:
          Switzerland vs. Germany
          Czechoslovakia vs. Canada

The medal round starts on Monday, April 29, with all games taking place at
Turku.

In Tuesday's game between the Soviet Union and the United States, Team USA
dug themselves a deep hole early by giving the Soviets five power-play
opportunities in the first period, including a 5-on-3 -- not exactly the
smartest thing to do when you're facing one of the best teams in the world.
Three of the Soviets' six first-period goals came when they were in man-up
situations.  US goalie John Vanbiesbrouck was replaced after the opening
period, having stopped 11 of 17 shots, but backup Gordon Scott didn't fare
much better, as he made 17 saves over the last two periods.  The Soviets
were up 7-0 before the United States got on the board midway through the
second on Brian Mullen's score, and it was 10-1 Soviet Union before Jeremy
Roenick picked up the US's second goal.

Both the United States and Finland appear to have relatively easy games
remaining against winless Switzerland and Germany, so their game on Sunday
may decide which of them finishes fourth or higher and gets a crack at a
medal.

In some college hockey-related news, Yale has announced that it is dropping
its JV men's hockey program, along with two varsity sports, water polo and
wrestling.  The cuts were due to the school's budget problems, and further
ones may be needed as well.

Also, while we've been wondering what to do with ourselves in the off-
season, there's at least one player who has found something to pass the
time.  Colgate forward Marc Dupere is a pitcher for the school's baseball
team -- not only that, he picked up a win yesterday with a home run (the
only score of the game) in the tenth inning against Le Moyne.  I don't think
Bo Jackson has to worry about Dupere stealing his thunder yet, but still...

And a kick in the head to me for putting Shawn McEachern at BC, rather than
BU.  I'm sure Marty McInnis would be none too pleased to hear about that
"trade" (oh, BU gets a draft pick too :-)

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86
LET'S GO RED!!

"Got into an argument this morning with my Rice Krispies.  I distinctly
 heard 'Snap' 'Crackle' 'F**K HIM!' "
-- George Carlin, _A Place For My Stuff_