From:
Mike Zak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 91 22:15:47 EDT
I think that I know why Peter Ahola might not be going back to
Finland and play with the pros instead.  Finland (and all other
European countries) requires all males to serve in the armed
forces for 2 years (I believe).  They can get out of this re-
quirement if they employed in the US, going to a US college
just prelongs it until a certain age is reached.  Playing
in the NHL will exempt him from his service (not like David
Robinson).  We had a Finnish player here at Clarkson, Jarmo
Kekelanin, leave after his Junior year for the Bruins.  He
had a signed contract and was wanted by Boston, he decided to
take the sure position instead of waiting another year.  If he
had gone back to the Army his chances of playing pro would have
been much lower.  So, perhaps Ahola is close to the age where
he'd have to go back and serve in the Army, at least this is
going through his mind.  It would be hard for any player to
convince a pro team to give him a contract, let alone a good
one, after a 2 year hiatus.

Mike Zak
Clarkson '87, '90,...