Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 91 18:31:38 EST
 Quite a few people have sent messages in today saying that the NMU-BU game was
 the best championship game and/or THE BEST college hockey game ever. I must
 say that I don't agree. It will be a long time till I forget THE BEST
 championship game ever played. It was the Harvard-Minnesota game from 1989.
 Now, before anyone jumps me...remember WE LOST that game. The two teams had
 similar styles and great players. They came out at full-tilt and it stayed
 that way until the final goal in overtime was scored. There was great defense
 and fabulous offense. Pipes were hit by each team. The crowd was literally
 breathless during the overtime! In fact, it was such a fabulous game I saved
 the videotape and even watched it (except for the very end) that summer. I may
 dig it out again soon and compare it to the 1991 final, but I'm sure my
 feelings will remain the same.

 Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it has always puzzeled me why no
 one ever refers to this game when the subject of great finals came up now and
 again. If you can shed any light on "why not?" then please do.

 In my opinion, Northern had a very mediocre first period and Pye had a
 terrible game. He is a fabulous goalie, but just wasn't "ON" that night. This
 was unfortunate for Northern. The BU goalie also had his problems and it's
 really sad that that was his last college game. I even heard someone in my
 section say that Northern looked like the Gophers on a bad night during the
 first period. Towards the end of all the overtime, another person said that
 they didn't think that Northern deserved to win after letting their 3-goal
 lead evaporate. It was very exciting, the lead going back and forth, but for
 as strong and talented as each of those teams were, it shouldn't have taken 82
 minutes to get a winner.

 Please don't get me wrong I was on the edge of my seat, as was the rest of the
 crowd. It was terribly exciting and the finish was spectacular, a really
 "pretty" goal (I saw it on the news). But this was not the most exciting
 championship game for me.

 Carol White
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!