From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 1994 14:12:05 -0400

>    Rumors around here are that BGSU's head coach Jerry York
>    is interested in the BC job. In the past years, he has been
>    mentioned as a candidate, but Jerry wasn't interested.
>
>    What I hear is that two BC alum are at the head of the list
>    (JY and Rob Riley/Army) with Buddy Powers in third. Word
>    is that a new coach WILL BE named real soon, maybe even
>    Wednesday.
>
> This is going to make it real tough for BC haters to keep hating BC.
> If it's one of these 3, that is.  Buddy is a good guy, as is Riley - I
> remember from meeting him a couple of years ago when Army played at
> Merrimack.  Rob is a big HOCKEY-L supporter.  And I only know of York
> what you and others have said, and it seems like it will be hard to
> dislike him.
>
> Of course, I am sure people will find a way anyway. :-) (read: BU
> people)
>
> Milbury was a good coach for the Bruins, but I never liked him as a
> player.
>
> - mike

Well, I actually liked Cedorchuk as a person.  He was a really nice guy who
had no problem being friendly with someone wearing anti-BC rhetoric right on
his T-shirt (don't know who that was.) :-).

What I/we hate most about BC are, as follows:

1  The blatantly biased media.  Although BU comes in third on the pecking
   order (BC - New England B-ball schools - BU - High schools - Big Hockey East
   (Maine, etc) - Harvard - Small Hockey East (Merrimack, etc), the fact that
   BC is often treated as the ONLY school in the area ticks many people off.

2  The arrogant/we suck alumni.  Almost every time (not always) a team starts
   to do well, they're played-up as if no one else can even play on the same
   field/court/ice with them.  Then, as soon as anything goes wrong, the cry
   is "We choked!"  "Oh, we NEVER win!"  "We suck!"  It's rare to see a BC
   team do OK and have everyone say, "They did OK."

3  Well... I actually can't think of a #3...

I guess if the media didn't do things like showing BC students getting drunk
in a bar instead of *mentioning* that Rustic had coached his last game at
Harvard or even mentioning a pro score, I wouldn't have come to hate BC so
much.  (After the win over Notre Dame in football this year, Chnl 4 showed
*TWO* diffent bars of BC fans celebrating and *COMPLETELY IGNORED THE FACT THAT
RUSTIC HAD COACHED HIS LAST GAME AT HARVARD, THE BRUINS HAD WON THEIR HOCKEY
GAME, BU HAD CLINCHED THEIR FIRST UNDEFEATED SEASON IN FOOTBALL *EVER*, OR
EVEN RUNNING A DAMN SCOREBOARD* !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Did we mention that the channel 4 sports people are BC alums?

This only deepened our hatred of BC.

I guess what is comes down to is we hate the way the media treats BC more than
we actually hate BC.

I liked Cedorchuk.  I'm sure the coaches at Army and BGSU are nice guys, but
I'll still root against BC.  Only Powers coulc change my view.

Remember, RPI, right now, is my second favorite team (after BU) mostly because
I like the way Powers coaches.  I like the style his teams play.  If Parker
were to retire, Powers would be the person I would most like to see take his
place.

So to correct Mike's coment, no, we would still hate BC if they hired York from
BGSU or the Army coach.  Only Powers might change our view... and even then I'm
not sure...

Well, enough of my screaming.

It just really bothered me to see a class act like Rustic leave town after 20
or so years without so much as a mention.  In the long run, I feel it reflected
very badly on the city.  On that day, I was ashamed to be associated with the
city.

Tony