From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 1994 12:30:04 -0500
>I can't sit here without offering my condolences to Colorado College. They had a
>great year and you can't take that away from them but it sure is a shame that
>they won't be going to the NCAA tournament. Sure they lost to the last place
>team in the league tourament but I think some consideration should have been
>given to the fact that MTU is a very capable team with a great goalie (just ask
>Harvard) and some consideration given to the top - to - bottom strength of the
>WCHA.

Sure, it would have been nice to consider the intangibles and let CC
in. But that is not want the coaches demanded. They said--use the
computer and keep the politics out. A few years ago, CC would have been
in, because the WCHA rep on the committee would have been in there
fighting for them, negotiating a deal ("hey, Parker, you vote for CC
and I'll vote for NU") or other such under-the-table happenings that I
have heard about in years gone by.

Not any more. It was not an issue of letting in a 4th CCHA team versus a
3rd WCHA team. It was an issue of letting in MSU or CC. MSU had the better
numbers, plain and simple.

No, it was not politically correct to keep Colorado out. But I was one
who was complaining when politics kept Michigan out (BG's AD was on the
commitee and U of M fans were claiming unfair play), and when Cornell
seemed to eek in only because their AD was on the commitee.

I am ecstatic that politics did not come into play at all this year.

Keith