From:
"Dr. Stephen Roth @ Student Services" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dr. Stephen Roth @ Student Services
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1993 15:47:49 -0500
Regarding Jeremy's comment:

>And as far as joing an ECAC West or South division....can a Div. I school
>play at this level?  I thought there was some regulation against full Div. I
>schools playing at a lower division in one sport?  Personally, I think we
>should try to be Div. I Independent for a year or two, and schedule a lot of
>Div. III teams.  Then try to join the CCHA (probably the best situation as
>far as travel is concerned...except for that trip to Fairbanks :^)

The ECAC/West (&S,E,N) is in effect a lower-cost alternative for varsity
hockey, which is why you'll find a number of Div. I and II schools playing
hockey in it, in addition to the many Div. III schools.  Besides Canisius,
other Div. I schools which come to mind include UConn, Holy Cross, and St.
Bonaventure.  For a club team such as Penn State, a move to ECAC hockey would
probably be a better transition step than going as a Div. I independent:  less
expensive, easier scheduling (in the past few years it had become almost
impossible for the independents to schedule other Div. I teams), but some good
recruiting & rivalry potential.

Dr. Stephen E. Roth                                 BITNET:   ROTH@CANISIUS
Dean of Student Services
Canisius College                                     PHONE:  (716) 888-2522
Buffalo, New York 14208                                FAX:  (716) 888-2525