From:
Eric Scheirer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Scheirer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1993 11:36:46 -0500
Paulette Dwen ([log in to unmask]) writes:
> Members of the Cornell pepband are diehard fans as well.  In fact, they are
> so into the games that  at times I have had difficultly getting their a
> attention to start a cheer when I conducted.  In the past band members had
> to pay not only for tickets for away games, but also transportation. At
> thirty bucks a weekend that can strain the typical student's wallet.  If all
> they were concerned about was playing, they would join the symphonic band
> that was completely free.

As a former member of the Cornell Pep Band (this clause is getting repetitive)
I agree with this; however, I abhor the attitude it implies.  Far be it from me
to contradict the self-important PR juggernaut that is the Big Red Band
program, but it always struck me that the major motivation of the Pep Band
(and the BRB, for that matter) was indeed the "look at me" instinct, as
well as the members' desire to party.  It certainly is *not*, for the most
part, a love for either hockey or music.  One need only consider the Sherman
bus to understand this.

A modicum of this is probably necessary for what is, inherently, a show group.
But it was the constant undermining of the musical qualities of the group
by (IMHO) poor decision making that finally made me want to leave and stick
with the "completely free" symphonic, jazz, and orchestral programs.

The perception of the "band geek" is still alive and well here, of course
(from my vantage point in section B); but more than that, I don't think the
student body at large, or even the hockey crowds, *enjoy* the bands.  From
where I've sitting, at least, both inside and outside the band, the pep
bands I've heard in the ECAC and Ivy league just don't sound good.  Perhaps
this is just me being over-critical.

To be fair, I think the Lynah crowd appreciates the playing of the Alma Mater
at the 2nd intermission, and also a few of the novelty cheers -- Swanee in
particular.  And it's also hard to tell what the impression would be if there
was no band at all.  But I do believe that the ECAC and Ivy bands will never
gain the sort of wide acceptance on campus as the "fascist" bands until they
make the same commitment to quality.

And in response to the notion that every fan has the "right" to enjoy the
hockey game any way he wants, such as sitting quietly or playing in a pep
band: Feh.  Suppose my idea of "enjoying" hockey is to go around the arena
and smack people on the head?  If the bands are considered disruptive and
unwanted, then they should not be invited; their right to "enjoy the game
via musical performance" notwithstanding.  Read the disclaimer on the back
of your ticket.

This is not to say that the Cornell pep band is likely to stop coming to
the games any time in the forseeable future; they have friends on the coaching
staff and in the alumni offices.  But if band members want to know why
crowds are unresponsive to their playing and sometimes seem to dislike them,
perhaps they should look to the quality of their organizations.

Eric
---
Eric Scheirer -- Cornell U. -- (607) 277-1899 -- [log in to unmask]

"Small change can often be found under seat cushions." -- Lazarus Long