From:
Pat Gonzales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:23:20 -0500
I was the sports editor of a small daily newspaper in southern
Minnesota at the time of the 1980 Olympics, and I remember listening
to the game on the radio and being *very* ticked that television
wasn't going to show the game live. (And if I recall correctly, I
couldn't get the Twin Cities station broadcasting the game and had to
resort to a station out of Rochester [MN] who was relaying a
*Canadian* broadcast!)

I don't recall seeing the tape-delay game -- I'm sure I was too busy
getting the AP Olympic stories typeset and into the paper that
evening, among other sports going on at the time. :-)

Unfortunately that's not my biggest hockey memory -- mine is, as a
high school junior, being in the stands at the final home game for
the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1970 and getting the word in the third
period that the Penguins had made the playoff thanks to a loss by
another team (it was either Buffalo or St. Louis; the brain cells
carrying that info have long since left the station :-) ). The cheers
started in the press box and cascaded like a waterfall down the
sections in front of the box and spread like wildfire around the
arena. The players couldn't figure out, at first, why everyone was
cheering because they hadn't done anything worth cheering for.

[And then there was the day that I found out that I could, as a new
University of Minnesota employee, purchase Gopher hockey season
tickets through payroll deduction... :-) ]

Pat G.
Exiled Gopher fan in Lexington, KY