From:
Pat Gonzales <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Gonzales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:10:57 -0500
Longtime lurker and Hockey-L lister (early 90s?) putting in my two cents:

Univ. of Minnesota Golden Gophers / WCHA

And I moved to Minnesota for the ice hockey. Really.

I fell into being a fan of ice hockey back in high school in the late
60s, when a cousin took me to my first game -- at the Civic Arena in
Pittsburgh. At my alma mater, Indiana University of Pennsylvania
['75], I covered the club ice hockey team for the school paper and
eventually switched my major from math education to journalism. When
time came to look for a job, I blanketed Massachusetts and Minnesota
newspapers with my resume (those two states being the hubs of ice
hockey in the U.S., according to a Sports Illustrated article in
January 1976). Someone from southern Minnesota hired me, sight
unseen. I packed up a '68 Mustang and moved to the Frozen North.

It took me about 10 years to get a job at the U of Minn. and a season
ticket to the Gophers, and a couple more years after that to connect
with Erik, Paula, and Carol and the Williams Arena gang. Those were
some of the best times I've ever had!

Now I live in the hockey wasteland of central Kentucky, occasionally
go to a U of Kentucky club team game (which after D1 is more like a
pick-up game) when I need a live hockey fix, and try to catch what
games I can on Fox Sports Regional channels. And I'm hoping to work
out getting to Columbus next year....

Pat Gonzales
Univ. Press of Kentucky