From:
Eric Burton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Burton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:51:16 -0600
 >I think that sends a message to
 >players that certain actions are fine, as long as you don't really hurt
 >the player....rahter than saying that certain actions are wrong,
  >regardless of the outcome.

 Erik

I heard that argument a lot during the olympics when Kariya was hurt and
could not play there were a lot of Canadians really mad at Suter they
thought it was unfair he would be allowed to play in the Olympics when Paul
could not (He actually might have been on suspension from the NHL at that
time too I can't remember), there were suggestions at that time that he
should have to sit out as long as Paul, the only problem I have with this
there are people mad when Stars get hurt but it would have been Jeff Odgers
or Tie Domi no one would have even blinked an eye.  I watch a lot of CBC and
I have heard this argument a few times for other instances too. But is this
a bad idea? It might be who knows but I am so sick and tired of seeing the
dirty hits in College hockey that I know are a direct result of the no
fighting rule and that face mask. A much smaller player can come over to a
bigger tougher player and hack him with his stick and he can not respond to
this player because of fear he is going to have to sit out of a game. I just
don't know why people are so hesitant to change the game back to the way it
is supposed to be played. I don't see any major overhalls in the rules of
other sports to accomidate the NCAA...