From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 1995 23:11:52 -0100
This is an administrative note to HOCKEY-L regarding the pair of abrasive
posts earlier today that got some people ticked off.

The problem may have resulted from the poster sending to what he may have
thought was only a local newsgroup.  We sent a message to the poster
explaining the nature of the list and asking him not to send such posts
again.

This situation did point out a hole in our ability to moderate posters,
namely that the person was not specifically authorized to post to HOCKEY-L
from his account, yet his post got through because it came from a NETNEWS
re-distribution of HOCKEY-L.

Since I wish to maintain moderating ability over those who post to HOCKEY-L
and INFO-HOCKEY-L, I removed authorization for the two NETNEWS
re-distributions that currently exist: at MAINE and at UICVM.  Any posts
from NETNEWS re-distributions must now come to the administrator (i.e. me)
for approval.  If someone wishes to post regularly via such a method, I
will have to add him/her to the authorization list and I will make
decisions on whether to do so on an individual basis.

I decided this clarification was necessary since so many people sent mail;
I don't have time to reply to you all personally.  I have also received a
few posts for approval to HOCKEY-L dealing with this and have not approved
them because discussion of HOCKEY-L should not be conducted on the list
itself.

Please feel free to send mail if you have any further questions or comments.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93
***** Unofficial Merrimack Hockey home page under construction at:  *****