From:
Brian Gentry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Gentry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 1995 14:42:54 -0500
Well, its time to add my 2 cents....

It seems like many people on the list don't know what the purpose of a chant is.
Some people seem to think that a chant is just an unsportsmanly way of ridiculing another team when that team makes a mistake.

I tend to believe that chants are a way to "shake up" the other team so that
goals can be scored after the chant.  This is part of the home-ice advantage
and part of what makes college hockey so special.  If it were just a way of
ridiculing the other team, wouldn't there be a plethora of chants after a winning game is over?  I can tell you for sure that the number and intensity of
chants increases greatly during a close game. (i.e. when BU needs goals)  If BU
is blowing out a team, there are less chants.

Let's knock off this discussion.  It was started by a Minnesota fan who seemed
more to be venting anger at Wisconsin rather than being interested in a
serious discussion on the "sieve" chant.  Many chants are a part of a
school's tradition and should be respected (on the list, not in the arena!)
I can only imagine the flames I would get if I typed what I really thought
on the "M-A-I-N-E  Goooooooo Blue!" chant! :)

BTW, as someone else mentioned, it was disgusting to have heard the small
number of BU fans yell, "Kramer, you suck!" during the awards ceremony, well
AFTER the game was over.  That is not indicative of most BU fans.  We can
be rude, but we know when to stop! :)

Brian Gentry  BU'95
Go Terriers!
1994 & 1995 HOCKEY EAST Champs!