From:
Andrew Brecher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Brecher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 1995 16:26:53 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>I apologize for re-hashing an old subject, but I noticed that this week
>Minnesota was in front of CC in the RPI rating.  Part of this is because CC won
>the regular season championship and earned the right to play a worse team in
>the playoffs than Minnesota did, but this helped Minnesota's RPI rating because
>it gave them a stronger schedule.  Thus, CC has been penalized in the RPI
>because they had a better regular season record in the league.

This and previous posts have now completely convinced me that the RPICH is
a lousy ratings system.  Is there a better one?  CHODR is nice but total
goals
scored isn't a great indicator of winning ability.  Anyone want to
nominate another one?

(of course, with so few non-league games, almost any system is doomed to
failure, but the problem quoted above is fairly major)

--

- Andrew Brecher ([log in to unmask])  <insert disclaimer here>