From:
Andrew Brecher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Brecher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 1995 14:01:59 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>, MR ADAM C WODON
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>As usual, I will agree with Geoff Howell on a number of things -- most of
>which, his assessment of the refereeing.  Taylor and Stewart did a very
>commendable job in an exhausting three-game series.

I'm pretty sure Taylor & Stewart only did Game 3.

>As for the goaltending situation at Brown, anyone who saw Parsons on Friday
>would not have gone back to him.  He was brutal.  He was off-balance, he was
>giving up huge rebounds.  Audette wasn't great in game 2, he only faced 15
>shots and the only two tough ones went in.  He didn't impress me, but he gave
>the team a lift, and Gaudet had no choice in my book.

His Game 3 performance certainly seems to have confirmed his choice.

>Finally to Martin Small:  I know you were sitting in front of me, so I know you
>were theoretically watching the same game, but you CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!!!!!
>   "Cahoon blew his lid"
>     NOBODY yaps and yaps and yaps at the refs like Gaudet.  No one is in
his le
>ague.

This statement does not contradict Martin's.

>    "Princeton really likes to clutch and grab"
>    Now I know that you couldn't have been to many Brown games this year.
>Princeton would love nothing more than to skate around with their speed.  Brown
>is infamous for their cheap-shot tactics.  I'm not even putting them down, I'm
>just telling you the truth.  They have it down to an art.  Take a look at the
>highest two-team penalty totals in the league this year and ALL the games
>involve Brown.  This is hardly a coincidence.  If you don't think Brown was
>running at players Saturday, I don't know where you were.  Princeton had to run
>at them back in order to survive.  I suppose Eric Trach never cheap-shotted
>anyone. Or Mulhern, or Traggio.  How about the charge of Konte?  Are you sure
>you've seen Brown play?

A couple responses:

- Were you at Game 1?  Princeton won they game because they were able to prevent
Brown players from crossing the blue line with the puck.  They didn't do this
with stick-work; they did this with body work.  Maybe I don't know the real
meaning of "clutch and grab", but it seemed like Princeton was the better team
at physical play- overall physicalness, not just heavy hits and checking
and like that.  It looks like Princeton was trying to slow down the play
in Game 1, not speed things up.  I've seen plenty of speedy teams come to
Meehan (Clarkson, Vermont) but Princeton isn't one of them.  Maybe they
changed their playing style for Brown games, but they didn't seem to want
to play a fast and open game.
- Please define "cheap-shot tactics".  I didn't see any more cheap play
from Brown than from Princeton.
- What about highest single-team single-team penalty totals?  That would seem
to be a better indication of whether Brown is as "cheap" a team as you say
they are.
- "running at players" - you mean checking?  Yeah, Brown is good at
checking.  When I think of classic Brown wins this year, I think of great
puckhandling,
weaving around defenders, heavy pressure on the goalie, and tight defense.
I can't name any game that I feel was won because of better checking, but I can
name a few that were lost because of poor checking (Game 1 of this series,
for example.  Brown didn't start checking well until the middle of Game
2).
- Cheap shots from Trach, Mulhearn, Traggio- sure, plenty of times.  I've also
seen plenty by opposing teams.  No one teams comes close to monopolizing this.
- the charge of Konte- If I'm thinking of the same instance that you were,
I saw a Princton player right on his back.  He certainly didn't speed up
after the
whistle blew- it looked like he went racing in hoping for a rebound, heard
the whistle, tried to slow up but lost his balance.

--

- Andrew Brecher ([log in to unmask])  <insert disclaimer here>