From:
"Glenn W. Gale" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn W. Gale
Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 1994 18:52:11 -0500
[Sean Pickett's thoughtful comments deleted]

     I would only add that another difference between college and
pro is that every year a college team changes significantly due
to graduation.  Adjustment to Div I level hockey is difficult for
most Freshmen.  If a team has lost a number of players to graduation
and is bringing in several new players, frequently it takes half
the season or more for them to mesh.  If only (let's say) half of
the teams made the playoffs, it might eliminate such teams which
played well late in the season but suffered because of early
season adjustment problems.  The system favors teams who "hit their
stride" at the right time, and I don't think that's bad.
     Having said that, though, I also agree with Luiz and others
that the way the ECAC system rewards the top two teams is a good
system.  So, while keeping everybody in the hunt right down to
the end of the season, they still reward the top finishers.

Thanks
-Glenn