From:
Steve Moerland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 1995 17:02:03 EST
>To add to what many have posted:
>            The reason for the lawsuit, as I understand it from a USF
> player, is that the Univ. of Kentucky refused to play USF in a game that
> would decide who go to go to Colorado. I guess, from what I was told, is
> that the Kentucky team *knew* that South Florida would beat them *handily*
> thereby eliminating Kentucky's tournament bid and sending Florida instead.
> From what I know, Kentucky purposely would not play USF for this reason.
> It was originally stated that Kentucky would travel south for the gamebut
> they bailed due to *money* problems. USF then said that they wouldtravel
>to Kentucky and "pay all teh expenses" that Kentucky would incur during the
> course of the game.
>Bottom line... it seems, in my opinion, that in light of
> everything that KEntucky should voluntarily drop out of the tourney due
>that fact that they avoided the game that would have decided the situation
> to begin with.
>NAthan Bennett

    Well, someone has to stick up for the 'Cats.  I'll try to keep in mind that
you got your story from a USF player.  The league in which Kentucky and USF
play is split into two divisions.  Both teams went undefeated, but because of
the way the schedule goes never faced each other.  The league then had to
decide who could go to the ACHA tournament.  They chose Kentucky.  I,
unfortunately, have thrown out the article on the issue but as I recall the
reason for the choice had something to do with USF violating a league rule
regarding number of players or something like that.  I could be wrong on that,
it's been a few days and I only half paid attention to the article but the
league did have their reasons.  The game that UK supposedly backed out on was
probably the one that USF wanted to play in Colorado.  I, personally, feel that
UK should play USF.  We might beat them, we might not, but at least it would
settle the issue.  OTOH, look at Kentucky's viewpoint, the league made their
decision, why should they take a chance on losing their tournament spot.  When
the ref makes an iffy penalty call against you opponent late in a close game
do you just say "No, thank you sir, but we didn't feel that that ruling was
correct."  No, you go on the powerplay and be glad the chips fell your way.  I
can sympathize with USF, they've had a great season, but I think you can
hardly expect Kentucky to look a gift horse in the mouth.  Wow, I never
thought I'd be discussing Kentucky hockey.
                                       --Steve Moerland
                                         MSU '92, UK '95