From:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 1995 06:32:08 GMT
Well, just to echo what has already been stated about the 2 RPI-USAFA
games this weekend.

1) I have to agree with Charlie in that both games were a lot closer
than anyone might have imagined.  A couple of bounces here, and if not
for spectacular goaltending on both ends, then the scores would have
been different.

2) Tim Spadafore with the start on Friday night showed that Spads is
indeed a goalile that can handle the pressure.  He made 35 saves that
evening and some spectacular glove saves.  He was not beaten from the
perimeter at all, only from in front in the direct crease and slot
areas.  Credit the RPI defense for both things.  The defense tied up
the Falcons fairly well in fron of Spads, and then let men cruise in
front on the rush.  All three goals were pushed through from the crease
area.

3) Tamburro gets the start on Saturday and looked like the knee and the
layoff affected him.  He was sharp later on, but in the beginning looked
very tentative, and did not seem to have the reflexes about him.
I noticed one thing about Mike, he seemed to drop to his knees on
almost every occassion when a long shot would come in, and then would
place his stick flush against the ice.  Could be something to watch out
for in future games, as he was between twice after he did this from in front.

4) Special teams were the difference in this series.  On Friday USAFA
was 3-10 on thpower play, with all 3 goals coming with the man up.  One
PP gpal was with 2 seconds left, but the point was made.  RPI was 0-2
on it, and they collected 1 shorthanded goal on the evening.
On Saturday, USAFA was 2-11 on the power play, and RPI was 4-9.  This
included 2 4 on 4 goals as well for RPI.  6 of their 7 on special teams,
or without even strength play.

5) On Saturday there were a total of 106 penalty minutes.  3 misconducts,
and 38 minor penalties.  This added up to approximately 38 minutes played
in non-5x5 action.  22 minutes at even strength 5x5.  It seemed to me that
the referees for the game played too much of a part of it.  It came
to the point where players were looking at the refs after every single
hit, pokecheck, backcheck, etc. to see if there was a call.  The refs
dictated the game instead of letting the players play it.

6) There are some very good players on the Falcon squad.  I was particularly
impressed with a few.  Bilek, Decker, DiGironimo, and McAlister were the
4 I thought were particularly outstanding.  It was hard to judge some of
the Falcons, as Coach Delich elected to sit 6 from Friday and play a
different 6 on Saturday.  They gave it their all, but in the end, the talent
level gap showed on the special teams play.

7) RPI injuries played a part again.  Eric Perardi did not play the series
as he was rested with sore legs.  Adam Bartell reinjured his leg.  I was
told that his tendon gave out, so this could be bad news for Engineer fans,
as if it is as serious as I was told, Bartell might be gone for the rest
of the season.  Tamburro I do not think is 100%.  He still seems slow
in reflexes for his legs, and still continues to come out of the crease
after a whistle to shake off his leg, especially if the play comes crashing
in on him.

8) It was a pleasure to meet Charlie Shub, and his views on the game.

9) Attendance was in the 1900's officially both nights, but the second night
seemed to pack at least 2500-3000 into the arena.  Maybe it was just me, but
I thought there was a great turnout for these 2 games from the Falcon
faithful.

10) There were a few RPI fans in the arena.  As Charlie mentioned, a group
of 25 or so directly to Kurt and I's left that made for some noise, plus
a group of 20 or so directly behind the visiting bench.  But the Air Force
fans made noise, and were very much into the game.

11) It seems as if many of the Engineers have begun to pick up the level
of their game.  Bryan Richardson has been at it all season, Craig Hamelin
has begun in the last 1 1/2 months to shine.  Jon Pirrong has really been
a force out there, and as a result his defense partner Pat Brownlee has
improved tremendously.  Wayne Clarke is giving the effort every night, and
the others have begun to pick up the game as the season wears on.

12) The sttch run of the ECAC as every weekend from here on in is a
pair of ECAC games.  Starting with Vermont and Dartmouth at home this
weekend, and then on the road for 4 against SLU, Clarkson, Dartmouth,
and Vermont.  Crucial time for RPI as 4 of the next 6 are on the road.

* Jayson Moy  RPI '89 '93  *  One of the Voices of Rensselaer Engineer      *
* [log in to unmask]             *  Hockey, Baseball, Football, and Basketball    *
* The "Asian Invasion"     *  on Crystal Clear 91.5FM  WRPI, Troy *EASM*    *