From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 1994 01:12:41 -0600
Wisconsin beat LSSU 6-4 tonight. I don't have details (I have given up
trying to write notes at games), but it was fun, and a good game.... in
the third period the refs started calling a bunch of stuff both ways,
making for very choppy play, but it was exciting....

Wisconsin get a bunch of power play goals, and a shorthander, to take a
4-2 lead into the third. Lake State made if 4-3, the Badgers got
another to make it 5-3, and then LSSU got a power play goal with less
than 2 minutes remaining to make it very close...

Lake State took a time out just less than 1 minute left and a faceoff
in the neutral zone. It didn't work as Wisconsin's Scott Sanderson got
an unassisted goal a few seconds later to make it 6-4 and a nice win
for Bucky!

Attendance tonight was about 16,300. Last night was 15,000-somthing.
We were unable to sit in the nice seats we had yesterday, and had to
retreat to our assigned seats in the upper deck. A good view of the
ice, but not the same...

Wisconsin outshot the Lakers 48-37. The Badgers had a few defensive
breakdowns, and got lucky a few times, but played what looked to me
like a solid game.

1994 Badger Showdown All-Tournament Team

Forwards:       Tallaire, Lake Superior
                Brian Holzinger, Bowling Green Tom Parlon, Northeastern
Defense:        Brian Rafalsi, Wisconsin
                Mark Strobel, Wisconsin
Goal:           Kulick, Lake Superior

MVP:            Brian Holzinger, Bowling Green

NOTES:

* I HATE TAPED MUSIC AT HOCKEY GAMES! The 3rd place game was sparcely
  attended. During the second period the PA began playing AWFUL music,
  very loudly, at every whistle, not stopping until the instant the
  puck was dropped. I complained to an usher, who told me that "they do
  it during the Admirals (Milwaukee's IHL team) games," and that if I
  wanted to complain I should go to the Bradley Center office. Since
  the office was on the other side, and I wanted to watch the game, I
  didn't go until the 2nd intermission. Then my friend John and I went
  to complain.  The woman at the reception desk called someone (I
  assume the person running the PA) to report our complaint. She told
  us that he siad "it is the request of the organizers". I thanked her,
  and figured I'd complain to my friends at the athletic department
  next week (I figured "the organizers" could be anyone).

  It may be that whoever was on the other end of the phone talked to
  someone about it anyway because they didn't play any music AT ALL
  during the third period!

* Do WCHA officials get a bonus for kicking players out of the
  faceoff circle? At games I've seen with non-WCHA linesmen and refs,
  faceoffs just happen. With WCHA officials, it seems like 25% of the
  time a ref blows the whistle and tosses a center for a player lining
  up illegally, and 25% of the time the linesman tosses a center for
  the way he lines up/places his stick. I understand that a fair
  faceoff is good, but what is going on?

        --david

--------
david parter                                         [log in to unmask]
university of wisconsin -- madison          voice: 608-262-0608/262-2389
computer sciences department                           fax: 608-262-6626