From:
Matt Wickey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Wickey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 1994 11:14:30 -0500
Matt Anderson writes:

>Okay, I understand that Tech is the original host of the Great Lakes
>Invitational Tournament.  I likewise understand that somehow U of M has
>finagled its way into being co-host.  My question is this: what is the
>status of MSU with regard to the tournament?  They've been showing up every
>year that I've been paying attention (since 1985).  Are the Spartans
>co-co-hosts?  If they aren't, then how come they always show up?  It seems
>to me that the tournament is primarily an excuse for the same three teams to
>play each other and a fourth chosen at random.

>I have nothing against MSU, mind you, in spite of having obtained a degree
>from there after years of agonizing labor.  It just strikes me as being a
>less than perfectly fair way to run an invitational tournament.  Of course,
>I'm not handing out the invitations, am I?

I believe it has to do with which teams are the biggest draw.  In Detroit,
more people will come out to see Michigan and MSU than any other college
hockey teams, considering they're large universities and many alumni live
in the area.  Michigan Tech gets included by virtue of being co-hosts.
Nothing against the Huskies, but their size, distance from Detroit, and
membership in the WCHA lead to a small, albeit loyal, following in SE
Michigan.

I have, at times, been unhappy about LSSU never being invited.  But, even
though I'd love the opportunity to see them, they usually get invited to
another great tournament (e.g. Badger Showdown) where they get exposure
outside the CCHA.

I can't prove any of this, but it makes sense.

Matt Wickey                     LSSU '86
Carnegie Group, Inc.            Go LAKERS!