From:
"Arthur C. Mintz" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arthur C. Mintz
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 1994 08:10:22 -0500
Rob Callum said:

>        The fact is that as the list grows, they'll be more posts. We
>want the list to grow, don't we? More people means more exposure
>to college hockey, both for the list and for the list members.
>Diversity, difference of opinion, and all that rot.
>
>        The problem, at least for me, is not the number of messages,
>it's the content. It's the woofs and the flame wars (the stuff we saw
>a *lot* of this year) and the whining. I can hit the delete key as
>fast as anyone, but if I have to delete twenty "no content" posts a
>day, it's still taking me time.

I think Rob's hit the nail on the head here (at least for me). I'd like to
see the list grow, too, as long as it grows in QUALITY, and not just in
QUANTITY. And I think that's been bothering me about the list the last year
or so...the information content has remained about the same, or increased
slightly, but the noise content has gone way up, so the ratio of
information to noise has gone down. Which, I guess, is why we're having
this dialogue.

I think the suggestions that have been made are good ones, but as the
dialogue has progressed I've begun to think that, while we can make some
small changes, there isn't much we can do to change the general direction
and still keep hockey-l the open forum it always has been. If the choice
comes down to a moderated list for an elite few and an unmoderated list for
anyone with any interest in the subject, I'll vote for the latter and
figure out how to deal with the noise later.