From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 1994 10:32:04 -0400
Henry.Barry writes:
> sport. Nonetheless, the injury rate her was 2.6 per 1000 practice hours per
> player and 74.1 per 1000 game hours per player.  In most other studies, injury
> rates are higher during practice than in games (yes, this is true for football
> and other collision sports).  Think about it.  Most time is spent in practice,
> so the exposure probability is higher.  So what is happening in hockey?  You
> can think of many explanations: practice time is spent more on drills with
> less contact; rules are inconsistently enforced (from my reading of the
> HOCKEY-L, I guess this is far fetched); intensity differences between game day
> and practice sessions.

Well, the higher exposure rate due to more practices would be factored in since
the metric is injuries per practice hours or game hours rather than total
injuries in practices or games.  Without a doubt, practices would be less
contact-oriented than games.  And you wouldn't expect cheap shot injuries
either...

*****************************************************        ,-******-,
* Dave Hendrickson "Robo" [log in to unmask] *     *'     ##     '*
*        A Hockey Polygamist and Get-A-Lifer        *   *##   ___##___   ##*
* GO BROONS!!!      Go Red Wings!!     Go LA Kings! *  *   ##|   ___  \##   *
* GO UMASS-LOWELL!!!    Go Maine!!           Go BU! * *      |  |___)  |     *
* Although I can't remember ever having an original * *      |  |___)  |     *
* thought, and am certainly parroting someone who   *  *   ##|________/##   *
* actually has a brain, these opinions are mine,    *   *##      ##      ##*
* not Hewlett-Packard's.                            *     *,     ##     ,*