From:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 1994 01:16:13 EST
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Bri Farenell
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>I understand where you're coming from but it's difficult not to,
>at times, interject passion into postings. We are fans. Fan is
>short for 'fanatic'. We are passionate about the sport. We are
>passionate about our team. Sometimes that passion is expressed
>in inappropriate ways or hastily but it's not passion itself that
>is bothersome.

I'm not directing this to Bri, but to fans who subscribe to the
theory that because "fan" is short for "fanatic" they have a
right to verbally abuse opposing players and coaches and officials.
Verbal abuse shouldn't be tolerated for any reason, no matter how
passionate the abuser. I know there will always be fans who have
nothing better to do than badmouth people, but despite popular
belief, verbal abuse is NOT part of the game.Sportsmanship is.

Ryan Robbins
Stodder Hall
University of Maine