Sender:
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:25:56 -0400
7bit
From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Unless someone has a better explanation, my understanding is that
Berenson opened the door to college hockey players going into the NHL.
As a juniors player, Berenson was told by the General Manager of the
Montreal Canadians that he'd never be allowed into the NHL if he went to
college instead of taking Montreal's offer.  After losing Michigan's
semi-final game in his senior year in '62 (in a game in which one of the
opposing players was Ron Mason, later the winningest college coach at
Michigan State) and playing in the consolation, Berenson joined Montreal
in Boston the next night and, coincidentally, scored the Montreal goal
that set the NHL team scoring record for a single season, went on to
score six goals in one game and, when his 17 years as a player were
finished, become NHL Coach of the Year in his first full season as head
coach, before he got fired as head coach.  Then he came back to Michigan
as coach and took a hockey program that had sunk to obscurity back to
the winningest program of the 90's.  He REALLY screwed himself by going
to college.

Shortly after the NHL accepted Berenson, 60's players like Michigan
Tech's Tony Angotti and Tony Esposito (who set the NHL season shutout
record in his first full season as a regular goalie) and Denver's Keith
Magnuson were some of the better NHL players.

Bob Griebel

P.S. Who was that guy at last night's game wearing the "Where's Tony
Buffa?" t-shirt?