Sender:
From:
Thom Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:39:17 -0500
Well, maybe not Orono, but how about the Black Bears hosting at Cumberland
County (Portland) Civic Center, which seats about 6500 (about 1000 more
than Alfond, but probably still too small for an eastern regional)? Of
course, UNH hosted the regionals at Manchester's Verizon Center last year
(seats about 10,500), which did them little good, as the Wolverines did
not seem to have many problems adapting far away from home (hey, maybe it
was the small ice vs big ice thing for the Cats?). The Gophers? They, like
the Black Bears, also seem to pull things together in time for the NCAA
tournament most years, wherever they are sent. I think that the real
problem with bracketing, which has been discussed at length on this list
over the years, is the smaller number of large-capacity venues with strong
fan bases in the West and Mid-West compared to the East, and the dollar
still rules.

Thom Davis
UNH'71 Go Cats!!

Charles Prinn <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: - Hockey-L - The College Hockey Discussion List
03/21/2005 03:41 PM
Please respond to - Hockey-L - The College Hockey Discussion List