Sender:
From:
"Carol S. White" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:56:33 CST
Ah yes!  I have been smiling reading all these accounts of the game, live
and replay!

In Minneapolis, we had a great interest in the team as quite a few Gophers
were on that 1980 Team!!!  Herb Brooks was a friendly coach who always had
time to chat and take a look at the photos I shot of the Gophers games.
Herb always had time to say hello whenever I saw him at the arena, even as
recently as three years ago.  I had cheered them on as Gophers and as
Olympians.  I had been a hockey fan for almost 10 years at this point.

I remember that the game started at 4PM Central time and I had a radio with
me at work, so on went the headset and I listened.  Work ended at 4:30 so
me and my radio took the bus home and then turned on the radio full blast
when I got home.   I remember pacing the floor and yelling.  I was alone,
and surprisingly no one called the cops! :-)

At the end of the game I called my brother, all excited: "We won!  WE
WON!!!"  He was calmly eating dinner, had no clue. (not a hockey fan)

I had made plans with some friends to go over to their house that night and
watch the game, and I agree, knowing the score made no difference!  On my
drive home that night it was incredible!  It was like the whole world took
a happy pill!

Of course we all reconvened at my friends house for the Gold Medal game and
were so excited when they won!  We went driving around and honking horns,
waving, there was such jubilation!  What a rush.

I only watched parts of the replay last night, but the joy in hearing...
"Do you believe in Miracles?  YES!!!" ...will never go away!

-Carol
Go Gophers!!!