Sender:
From:
Moller Edward N <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 15:02:01 -0500
The Wellesley Free Library, a member of the Minuteman Library Network, has microfilms of the Boston Globe from March 27-29, 1976.  Their digital records only go back as far as 1980.  I have transcribed the articles as best I can, leaving spelling and punctuation as is.

All three articles were written by the late Joe Concannon, for whom Hockey East's annual media award is named.  The March 28 article contains capitals, which are the author's emphasis, not mine.  Unfortunately, the microfilm copy of March 28 obscures much of a quotation from Jack Parker in italics which prefaces the article.  Because many of the words in that quotation are illegible I have excluded it in its entirety.

Other things to note.  On Mar 27, Burt Smith is identified as being from Michigan State.  On Mar 28 he is identified as being from Michigan Tech.  Tom Youghans's name is misspelled in the final paragraph of the Mar 27 article.  Mike Fidler's name is also misspelled in the Mar 27 article.  The Brown coach was Dick Toomey, who played with Jack Parker at BU.  Parker was captain in 1967-68; Toomey was co-captain in 1969-70.  The BU goalie was Brian Durocher, who up until last year was the Terriers' Associate Head Coach.  He is now head coach of the women's varsity, who begin play in 2005-06.  And on that fateful day in 1976, Toronto was awarded an expansion franchise in the American League.

The three articles will follow under separate cover.