Sender:
From:
Bob Woodbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 13:00:00 -0400
I agree. I'm 65 and patriotic as well. Served my time in the Navy. Enlisted, not drafted and proud of my service and accomplishments while serving.
I have been involved in sports my whole life - 40 years in the media. I first time I asked "why," when they played the anthem, I couldn't come up with a reasonable answer.

Thomas Rowe wrote:

At the risk of getting run out of the country on a rail, let me point out that playing anthems, whether only ours or many, is an innovation of the latter half of the 20th Century.  Let me ask this:  What purpose is served?  Is it an expression of patriotism?  If so, why do we insist on a display of partriotism at the beginning of a sports event?  The practice is ubiquitous, but IMO it serves no real purpose.  Carry it to its logical extreme and we will have a band ready to play the U.S. and whatever other National Anthems for each group of golfers who tee off on the first hole of every tournament.

I am as patriotic as the average citizen, but I have never understood the need to have the National Anthem played at sporting events.

I think maybe I'll turn off my mail program now before I get fried in effigy.

Tom Rowe                            UWSP dept of Psych
Home of Division III National Champion Pointers
89, 90, 91 & 93 and National Runners-up 92 & 98
and likely never again in the final skate