Sender:
- The College Hockey Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"Satow, Clay" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 18:07:28 -0400
Interesting article.  It answers some questions -- like Greenie's.  If I
read the article correctly, Denver didn't even submit a bid.  That's a
shame; I agree it would be a great place to have a Frozen Four.

But it still doesn't answer the question of what the host school does.  In
fact, Adam's post opens up some new questions.  The article implies that the
venue picks a host school (e.g. San Jose asking RPI to be the host) to
improve its chances.  Adam's post implies that a school picks a venue (e.g.
UNO and St. Louis) to improve the school's chances of being the host school.

So I amend my question of "what does the host school do? to include "what's
in it for the host school?"  Why would UNO want to submit and win a bid to
be the host school?  Why would RPI agree to be the host school for San Jose?
There's not much glory in it; I doubt that many folks remember who was the
host school for Anaheim.  Is there some financial incentive?

I fail to see what a host school that isn't located in the venue could
possibly do that the NCAA couldn't do better.  "Host schools" make sense for
D3, but I don't see what their purpose is for D1.

And Adam, I DO think that it's reasonable for us to be interested in the
geographic disjointedness of the host school and the venue.  It's not that
it matters one way or the other, and I ain't gonna lose any sleep over it.;
I'm just curious.  In every other situation I know of, "host school" has
some geographic link to the locale. I thought that Anaheim was an exception.
But now it appears that Anaheim was not an exception, and that there's some
reason other than geography for who the "host" (can't even call it a "host
school").

I'll be on vacation, so I won't be participating much.  Thanks in advance
for any answers to my questions.

FWIW, my picks would be Boston, Milwaukee, and St. Louis.

Clay