Sender:
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 05:52:33 PDT
I am really surprised at some of the messages I saw on yesterday's digest.
I consider myself a hockey fan and enjoy seeing the occaisional fight.  But
it scares me to see some of the reasoning used to argue for half-shields.
*If there is less protection, I will be more careful.*  That to me is like
saying if *I don't wear my seatbelt I won't drive so carelessly*.  It does
not matter what one player does it is the opposing player.  If you believe
that the threat of fighting will discourage "evil" play, I think you are
wrong.  The majority of fights are just little scrums of two players
exchanging comments about each other's mother.  How much damage can you do
to someone wearing protective equipment?  The majority of injuries that I
have seen are a direct result of sticks to the body/head.