Sender:
From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 01:07:13 -0500
RPI vs. Colgate
Sat. February 27,1999 at Houston Field House, Troy, NY
officials: Noeth-Cadman-Dunn
attendance: 3825

period -1-
G  1:24 RPI (1-0) Shepherd(St. Hillaire,Gardiner)
P  7:11 RPI Murray (hold)
P  9:58 Col Murphy (hook)
G 12:56 RPI (2-0) Riva(Murphy,Cunning)
G 13:30 RPI (3-0) Pothier(Murley,Dupee)
P 16:09 Col Murphy (hook)
G 18:07 RPI (4-0) Caley(Murphy,Tapper) ppg

period -2-
P  4:44 RPI Murphy (boarding)
P  9:10 Col Holdridge (misconduct)
P  9:10 RPI Murley (misconduct)
P 17:41 Col McDonald (slash)
P 19:56 RPI St. Hillaire (major-hitting from behind + game misconduct )

period -3-
P  5:20 Col Nolan (rough)
P  5:20 RPI Munn (rough)
P 14:19 Col Long (double rough)
P 14:19 Col McDonald (double rough)
P 14:19 RPI Murphy (double rough)
P 14:19 RPI Tapper (double rough)
P 15:50 Col Owens (rough + elbow)
P 15:50 RPI Caley (charge)
P 18:51 Col Wildfong (cross-check)

saves          1  2  3  t
RPI(Prekaski)  10 9  16 35
Col(Harder)    6  9  4  19

RPI clinched home ice for the first round of the ECAC quarterfinals
and went a long way to securing the coveted third place position by
beating the Colgate Red Raiders 4-0 in Troy.
RPI did what they did last night against Cornell by breaking fast in the
first period and kept attacking Colgate with their scoring lines early
and racked up 4 goals in the period for a 4-0 lead.

Unlike last night, the RPI defense effectively took control for the
second and third periods and played a close checking tight defense that
left Colgate with a lot of shots (35 shots) but very few quality scoring
chances. And on top of that, unlike Joel Laing last night, who wasn't
really on top of his game, Scott Prekaski was superb in the
nets getting the first shutout of his college career.

One comment about referee Mike Noeth who I called incompetent last night.
At 19:56 of the second period, Alain St. Hillaire was given a 5 minute major
for hitting from behind and a game misconduct. This drew the ire of the Troy
crowd against Noeth who has become our newest villain (after the retirement
of Harry Ammian).  While crossing the goal line chasing the puck, St. Hillaire
pushed a Colgate defender down and into the boards. It wasn't a cross check
nor was it a hook or trip or interference. The Colgate player went down
and into the boards shoulder first and was up in an instant (uninjured).
I saw the play clearly and believe it was absolutely the right call to make.
There  didn't appear to be an intent to injure and fortunately, there was no
injury, but the potential for devastating injury was there and a major
and a gamer was called for and justified. There is no need for that kind of
play
regardless of who does it and anything done to discourage that crap is
worth it. (Don't let this go to your head, Noeth. I still think you're
a crappy referee).

The Engineers opened the scoring in the 1st when Pete Gardiner dumped the
puck behind the net where Alain St. Hillaire picked it up, spun and drew
2 Colgate defensemen to him and got the puck out to a wide open Doug Shepherd
who was standing all alone to Harder's left. This, at just 1:24 of the first
turned out to be all RPI needed.
The Engineers went up 2-0 when Mark Murphy skated the puck behind the
Colgate net and tried to hit Danny Riva skating down the slot. The pass
went behind
Riva but found its way to Hamish Cunning at the right point. Cunning took
a wrister that deflected off a Colgate defenseman's skate, across the slot
and right
onto Riva's stick to Harder's left. Riva just tapped it into an empty net
for the
score.
The Engineer's third goal came as the Engineers broke out through center ice
3 on 2 with freshman Matt Murley carrying the puck through the center and
deep into
the Colgate zone. The Colgate defense wouldn't allow Murley to turn to the
center
but Murley stopped and spun around, giving RPI defenseman Brian Pothier a
chance
to catch up and Murley put the puck right in the slot where Pothier only had
to deflect it past Harder for a 3-0 lead.
The 4th and final goal of the game came at 18:07 of the 1st period just 2
seconds
before the Engineer's power play expired. Mark Murphy took a slapper at Harder
but missed the net by about a foot. The puck hit the back boards and
richocheted
out to Steve Caley on Harder's right who one timed it and beat Harder. Harder
appeared to have gotten a stick on the puck but it just deflected it upward
and into the net.

Looking at other results tonight, Yale, Princeton and Cornell won, while
St. Lawrence and Colgate lost. RPI theoretically can catch St. Lawrence
for second place but must beat them on points since RPI loses the head to head
tiebreaker with the Saints. On the other hand, the Engineers have 29 points
with Princeton and Yale tied for 4th with 25 points with the Engineers closing
out the regular season at Yale and Princeton next weekend. The Engineers
need one win to clinch 3rd but can possibly fall as far as fifth if they
lose both next weekend.

One comment to anyone who gets a chance to see the Engineers in the
next few weeks. I've said this before and Brian Morris mentioned
it in his post on the Cornell game. Watch for #19, Matt Murley. This kid
is absolutely sensational. His hockey sense is phenomenal. He knows where
to be and what to do and has the skills to carry it out. And he's
just a freshman. I've been going to RPI games since 1965 and have
seen the likes of Joe Juneau and Adam Oates among other talented
players. I think that Murley, as a freshman, is the best I've ever
seen here. I only hope that some pro team doesn't dazzle him with so
much money that he turns pro early. This kid is great to watch
and alone is worth the price of admission.

Time to sign off before I start a Murley for Hobey campaign and get
all the UNH faithful on my back.

Mark Lewin
RPI '69