Sender:
Date:
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 06:50:14 -0600
From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
To: Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Mike Machnik wrote:

> On a related note, it looks like broadcast.com (nee Audionet) is beginning
> to charge a lot more money to people who want to use their services to
> broadcast events.  It will be interesting to see what kind of effect this
> has on the schools that have been using broadcast.com to air their hockey
> games, especially the smaller schools.  Again, it isn't free, and in fact
> far from it now, perhaps partly because broadcast.com just went public and
> is now accountable to shareholders.  The schools that continue to do it are
> going to have to find some way to either justify the cost or do other
> things to cover it, and increased sponsorship may be one of the answers.
> But other schools may find that it just is not feasible.

I use broadcast.com all the time in the summer to hear major league
baseball.  Before the game clicks in I have to listen to an advertisement.
I know why it is there and I don't mind.  I fear the trend will be to
recover the costs by charging listeners for the service as the NBA does
via ESPN on the net.  If so I'll learn to do without baseball on the
radio.  I'll have to admit, much as it might be aiding and abetting, that
I might pay a fee to hear BU hockey on the net if I had no other source.

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]