Sender:
From:
Curtis_T <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 10:31:30 -0400
        Just wanted to add a few things to the flow of informationon
this topic. I saw my first lacrosse game in 1969- Hopkins vs. Maryland
while my sister was at Hopkins. But not a lot other than local high
school until my son started playing this spring.Now my springs are
busier than my winters. When I told my son about the recent posts, he
told me that there is "Junior A" lacrosse in Canada, and dug out a "Lax
Mag for kids" to prove it. So here are some factoids, with actual
college hockey content:
Adam Oates was the two time Etobicoke Jr. A MVP and holds the Junior A
lacrosse single game point scoring record.
John LaClair was a Vermont High School All-American in lacrosse.

And Wayne Gretsky, Joe Nieuwendyk(said to be the best in Canada while he
was playing), Brendan Shanahan, Steve Lamer and Paul Coffey all played
Junior A lacrosse.
        And while it is undoubtedly true that Maryland and Virginia (
and Long Island,NY) are total hotbeds for lacrosse, Massachusetts and
Connecticut high school and prep school programs have been strong for
years and the game is growing tremendously at the youth level also. (
And UMASS-Amherst is a national power.) In fact, it is not rare for an
elite high school or prep school hockey player to turn out to be more
highly recruited for lacrosse. ( A HNIB All-Star from 1996, Peter Ragosa
of Deerfield Academy, went to Virginia for lacrosse, and another highly
regarded hockey player, Dan Stay of Avon Old Farms went to Brown for
lacrosse that same year, though I believe that he tried to walk on for
hockey as well.) And,as has been pointed out, a number of student
athletes with Division I possibilities opt for Division III schools in
order to play both sports.