Sender:
From:
Jeff Dereszynski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 16:11:23 -0500
Ryan,

I disagree with you that Mike Richter wasnt a memorable
pipe-protector. I remember his first two years as a Badger and he was
horendous. I mean a baby could have stopped more pucks than Mike did.
But during the offseason he worked hard with Badger goalie coach Bill
Howard and the following year, Richter was one of the best goalies in
the WCHA. He cut his goals against to nearly half of what they were
the season before.

And yes, i do agree that Derek Plante was one of the best players to
come out of Minnesota college. Marinucci is still a terrific player
however.

I just wished people would realize that Chris Chelios was *never* a
good defenseman at U-W. I have seen him play D back in those early
80s days and if it wasn't for Bruce Driver, Chelios would have gone
down in Badger history as one of the worst defensemen ever. The same
is true with him on ther Blackhawks. Suter carries him.

Here is who i think are some of the best WCHA players since '80...

(in no specific order)

John Byce
Max Williams
Mike Richter
Chris Marinucci
Curtis Joseph
Jim Carey
Dwayne Derksen
Aaron Broten
Ed Belfour
Brett Hull
Derek Plante
Bruce Driver
Neal Broten (not the best, but i always liked him)
Brian Bonin
Geronazzo
Anders Bjork

well, that's my two cents worth.

Go Badgers! One their way to a 6th NCAA Title! 1997-98!

Ryan Bowman said:

> Goalie: Robb Stauber
> Mike Richter wasn't exactly the most memorable goalie in the WCHA.
> should've made it clear that I was looking for players that were
the best
> in college, not prospects or great in the NHL.

jeff
---
Official Lightmare Website:
http://www.execpc.com/~settie/
soon to be changing to www.Lightmare.com
Commissioner - ISHL
GM - SPHL Chicago Cobras
GM - IFL Tulsa Tempest

1997 IHL Turner Cup Champions - Detroit Vipers
Turner Cup MVP - #12 Peter Ciavaglia
IHL Rookie Of The Year - #30 Sergei Samsonov