Sender:
From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 1996 11:22:24 -0500
     RPI's Field House ( official name is actually something else )

I had the pleasure of recently catching a game at this rink. Being only
familiar with the Hockey East rinks, it was nice for a change of pace. I'm
not saying this rink is fabulous or anything, but it certainly is something to
mention. It had some characteristics that make it unlike anything else I've
ever seen.

First of all, the rink is sunk  like 3 feet into the floor. Therefore, the first
row seats don't normally have the usual fifteen feet of hidden ice
surface along the near boards. It adds a "balcony-view" enhancement to
every seat in the house! Fantastic idea!!!

Secondly, the ceiling over the rink is several feet higher than over the
stands. Seperate lighting systems shine directly down from both areas.
As soon as the puck is dropped to start a period, the lights over the
seats are shut off, thereby putting the ice surface in a "highlighted"
mode. Very nice effect!

Lastly, the rink is old! It has character. The time clocks appear to be circa
1940's. It has the aura comparable to being in one of the NHL's original 6
rinks before renovations took place in the 70's and 80's.

Maybe this rink's life is near it's end .... but I'd vote to have more rinks
adopt the style used here.

-Paul G.
Go Riverhawks! Umass-Lowell #1