Sender:
From:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 1996 15:22:46 EST
-- [ From: Adam Wodon * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

Since the large majority of responses seem to be against the two-ref
system, I'm trying to figure out why you have lashed only against me.

>> I remember the line from the great Detroit writer Joe
>> Falls,who said ... "My paper lets me write obits, and
>> I've never died." So,it is possible to have an opinion on
>> officiating without having done so on the NCAA Collegiate
>> level (and I have been an umpire in rec leagues for
>> years, and gotten abused many times).
>
> and there is a big difference between writing an obit as
> an observer of a death  and writing as someone who
> purports to know what it is to be dead, or to have an
> opinion on the sensations, abilities and limitations of a
> corpse.

This is what's know as a metaphor.  Further, when someone comments on
the play of someone, or refereeing, no one is purporting to know how it
"Feels" to be one. They're just critiquing.

> stop agreeing...refs are not required to get out of the
> way.  a player may go  around or through the ref.  I would
> be sensitive to an arguement that said any  given ref ran
> interference against say shawn bates or mike grier (fat
> chance) but always skated clear of BU's opposition.  this
> does not happen

Who in the world said the referees are getting in the way of a certain
team or player on purpose? You honestly believe that's what those
previous statements meant?  Just because officials don't HAVE to get
out of the way, doesn't mean they don't try.  They just do it worse
than before.  What you are saying is, "so what, they never had to get
out of the way to begin with" -- OK, so why try at all?

>>  most are great guys, as just about everyone in college
>> hockey seems to be -- even Shawn Walsh <G>!
>
> well I don't know from frirst hand experience about Walsh.
> I am an unobjective  fan of Maine Hockey, but one of my
> best friends played goalie for Walsh at Maine and loves
> everyone on Fod's green earth, but he hates Shawn Walsh.
> I have known many other players of his who hate him as
> well.

Oh, how silly of me -- you're right, Walsh is a jerk - I guess refs are
too, then. Since you obviously feel a need to disagree with everything
I say, I take back what I say about liking referees off the ice if that
will make you happy.

AW