Sender:
From:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 1996 04:39:43 EST
-- [ From: Adam Wodon * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

Wayne Smith wrote:

> The result has been a few more behind the play penalties
> and too many men on the ice calls, with generally a much
> cleaner game away from the puck and a referee always in
> position.  Offside calls are very consistant.  Does anyone
> else think the officials err on the side of calling
> offsides on a really close call?

If this is really how it is in HEA, great, but it ain't what it is in
the ECAC.  Having an "associate referee" sounds like a good middle
ground, if as you say, it is working.

> At least with HEA officials, the inconsistancy comments
> are bull.  All refs are inconsistant, but if the two-ref
> system is a partnership rather than just two individuals
> calling what they feel like at any point in time, it can
> be and just might lead to better consitancy.

I would agree, if it were true.

I do believe officiating is better -- as I said in my original post --
the problem is, the two referee system is keeping the bad ones on the
job longer, and not weeding them out faster.  Again, I have heard this
from people close to the game, not just me as a reporter/observer/fan.

And the problem with referees not getting out of the way is something I
hear all over the place -- I didn't make this up.

AW