Sender:
From:
James Clippinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 22:46:02 -0500
> On Thu, 18 Jan 1996, Arthur C. Mintz wrote:
>
> > Cronan's stick had a curvature of more than one-half inch. And no, I have
> > no idea how anyone noticed.
>
> Did anyone say *when* it was discovered?  It is common to sit on such
> information until a key situation; the ideal use is to negate a goal.

It was called with 37 seconds left in the thrid period of a 4-3
game--just a *bit* of a key situation. :)

> OTOH, players who normally use illegal sticks often switch to legal ones
> at times like these just in case.

Having sat behind the stick-supply area of the Colgate bench for the
past few years, I have never noticed any switches at any time
except when a stick was broken or lost on the ice.  They might have
happened, but I think the chances of an illegal stick being discovered
are so slim that it would not be worth the effort.

It was an odd penalty--according to the Colgate equipment people
(great source, I know :) ), all of the varsity team's sticks
are NHL-spec, although they are not usually measured before games.
I would not be surprised if they did start measuring, especially
since I think future opponents might demand stick inspections
after hearing of Cornell's success.

James Clippinger