Sender:
From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 1996 17:08:44 -0600
Ryan responded to Deron Treadwell's post:
>Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>This made me think of an example of just how silly things are sometimes in
>>this area.  ... Catherine Gallant is a women's basketball
>>player at UMaine.  She is also student teaching, at a middle school.  Now,
>>she is an assistant coach for the women's basketball team [??????], but per
>>NCAA rules she isn't allowed to go to any games, because the NCAA would view
>>that as trying to "influence players" to attend UMaine.  Personally I think
>>this is ridiculous, since she's simply volunteering her time to help some
>>young girls learn the game.
>
>Quite the contrary, I think this is anything but ridiculous. Who's to say
>a university wouldn't have a player "volunteer" to help an interscholastic
>team for the purpose of recruiting a standout player? If one player can
>do it, then the other players will do it. Now people in the university
>program start getting ideas.
{snipped another example}

>While these rules are extreme, they are not without unreasonable. If players
>are allowed to receive some benefits, the question becomes: Where do we draw
>the line? If the rules are changed to allow players to limit, say, the total
>value of benefits received, then players would need to account for the
>benefits they've accepted. ("Hold on a minute before you give me the can of
>Coke; I need to write down the date, who gave it to me, and how much it's
>worth!)

I have to agree with Ryan.  Anytime I hear of a seemingly ridiculous NC$$
rule, I just try and imagine what abuse it's there to prevent.  Usually I
just picture what a big-time football booster would try to get away with if
not for the rule, and I can easily see why the rule is there.

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!