Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 1996 15:18:37 -0500
At 02:41 PM 1/5/96 -0500, Rob Grover wrote:

>3.  Apparently, atheletes can't be given anything that would be considered a
>benefit.  What if a friend is a non-athelete?  Apparently, the NCAA wants
>students and atheletes to mingle more(no athletic dorms).  What happens if a
>non-athelete lives with an athelete?  Can they not share expenses?  Can they
>not exchange gifts or favors?  What if two people have been friends forever
>and one just happens to play college sports?  What do the rules say then?

This made me think of an example of just how silly things are sometimes in
this area.  As Rob will know, Catherine Gallant is a women's basketball
player at UMaine.  She is also student teaching, at a middle school.  Now,
she is an assistant coach for the women's basketball team, but per NCAA
rules she isn't allowed to go to any games, because the NCAA would view that
as trying to "influence players" to attend UMaine.  Personally I think this
is ridiculous, since she's simply volunteering her time to help some young
girls learn the game.

Also, one student of hers brought in brownie's as a small Christmas gesture
to her teacher, and to Catherine because she's the student teacher.  The
gesture was geninue by the student, and obviously not simply directed at
Catherine, but at both Catherine and the teacher since they were both
instructing them.  Catherine had to turn down the brownies from the student,
probably hurting the feelings of the student.

I know these both have very little to do with hockey, but it was more of an
effort to give examples in elaboration of Rob's point.

I've leave it to the experts on the rules to relate the "reasons" but IMO
these rules are rather extreme.

Deron Treadwell                          e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Orono, Maine                                        Phone: (207) 581-6683
UMaine Hockey on the web:  http://maine.maine.edu/~dtread41/mehockey.html
          "Battles are fought with weapons, but men win wars."