Sender:
From:
Rob Grover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 1996 14:41:36 -0500
I've been trying to avoid writing about the Maine vioalations because I feel I
am too biased to try and see both sides of the story.  I have read the
executive summary of the self report submitted to the NCAA(I'd like to see the
report, but don't have the $33.50 the school is charging for it-copying
fees(?)).  Although I would not consider myself a friend of Coach Walsh, I
have met and spoken with him on several occasions and have much admiration for
him as a person and as a coach.  As he does, I accept that much of what he had
done was in violation of NCAA rules.  I cannot support that, but can see that
it is difficult for anyone to not think twice at doing something wrong when no
retribution is expected.  I sympathize with Coach Walsh for his punishment,
but agree that something must be done.  I applaud Dr. Tyler, Pres. Hutchinson
and the University for their actions in dealing with the violations.  It has
not been an easy time.  This said, I guess I'll get to my point.

I have a few questions about certain NCAA rules for those gurus out there.
1.  On Dec 22, at the Union game(J.C.Penney Classic), we(the Blue Line Club),
tried to convince the scoreboard operator to flash 'Happy Birthday Steve' on
the screen(Steve Karyia's 18th B-day).  We were told by Matt Borque(Sports
Info Director) that it was not permissible according to NCAA rules.  Why?
Does that give significant advantage to our team?  Does it degrade Union or
their fans?  I don't understand why that is not possible.  Apparently, we
couldn't even get the band to play the birthday song because they are
affiliated w/ the school.  We shouted 'Happy Birthday Steve' just before the
game(he heard us but is too shy to have done much more than a head nod).  Is
this so wrong?  As a student organization(and apparent booster club according
to NCAA rules), did we violate any rules?  If so, why?

2.  Why are student-atheletes not permitted to receive retro-active financial
aid?  My girlfriend works for student payroll and says that retro fin. aid is
very common for the average student.  If NCAA wants student-atheletes to be
treated like students, why the difference?

3.  Apparently, atheletes can't be given anything that would be considered a
benefit.  What if a friend is a non-athelete?  Apparently, the NCAA wants
students and atheletes to mingle more(no athletic dorms).  What happens if a
non-athelete lives with an athelete?  Can they not share expenses?  Can they
not exchange gifts or favors?  What if two people have been friends forever
and one just happens to play college sports?  What do the rules say then?

It seems to me that the NCAA doesn't ALLOW atheletes to be amateurs or just
regular people.  That seems very unfair to the atheletes and does not ALLOW
them to get the most of their college education without looking over their
shoulders all the time.

Long Live the Maine Black Bears
Rob