Sender:
From:
"Mark J. Sonnier" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 1995 09:26:19 -0800
Comments:
To: Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Carol S White wrote:

> Dave was ill with the flu from the time they arrived.
> DeBus also got it, which was why Moen played both games
> Steve had to sit on the bench sick, as they couldn't play
> without a backup goalie.

So just what, exactly, does the Gopher goalie depth chart look like?  Who is
their number 1, 2, 3, goaltender?

I attended the Friday game at UAA, thanks to a gracious season ticket holder
in the office who had a Christmas party to attend.  (Even though there may
be 1,700 empty seats, you can't buy a ticket...)  I felt I was a pretty
impartial observer, as I don't have any particular affection for either team.
 As such, I think it fair to say that UAA totally outplayed the Gophers in
the defensive zone.  Both back-and forechecking were outstanding and, as a
result, UM could never mount a serious attack.  Seawolf goalie Chris Davis
was his usual lucky dog self, flopping like a mackerel and getting every
break imaginable.  The refs gave the game to Minnesota, IMO, particularly in
calling the power play which resulted in the tying goal and ignoring a Gopher
check from behind just inside their blue line down the stretch, to name a
few.  How 'bout that two-ref system...

But I digress...back to UM goaltending.  Moen gave up what I thought was a
soft goal (Mylymok from the point through the five hole) and was suckered
into going down and allowing an easy top shelfer for the Seawolves' first
score.  The other UAA goal was a perfect bang-bang-bang power play which he
had no chance of stopping.

But the gem of the evening was his gloving of a superb 2-on-1 shot just under
the crossbar in overtime.  Moen was in the process of stacking his pads and
sliding over as his glove exploded upward to snag the shot, which was placed
in the perfect spot.  Felix Potvin's glove doesn't move that fast.  My wife
and I were in awe and the UAA fans in attendance were in disbelief.  Is this
guy not the #1 goalie???

Happy holidays (give us back our !$%&*@# snow!)
Mark

=   Mark J. Sonnier, C.P.M.  Purchasing Agent  UAA Procurement Services   =
=    internet: [log in to unmask]  <PH 907-786-6505>  <FAX 907-786-6515>    =
=       University of Alaska Fairbanks Class of 1990 - Go Nanooks!!       =