Sender:
From:
AVROM LITIN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 1995 19:10:30 CST
Comments:
Warning -- original Sender: tag was [log in to unmask]
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Graeme Bailey
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>Avrom Litin asked about goalies playing with a broken stick.
>Brian Sprague has already answered that it's ok, but I thought
>for completeness I'd give the reference:
>
>NCAA 6-5b       A goalkeeper may continue to play with a broken
>        stick until astoppage of play or until the individual
>        legally has been provided with a stick.
>
>USA Hockey 605b Essentially the same wording.
>
>But note however that in Canada ...............
>
>CHA 51a,c       ... A player or goaltender whose stick has been
>        broken must drop the broken protions to the ice immediately.
>        A minor penalty shall be assessed for an infraction of this
>        rule.
>                ... A goaltender may not continue to play with a
>        broken stick of any kind.
>
>Graeme

Since it seems to vary with the location, how about other contries?  Does
Europe follow the cannadian rule or the us rule?  Or is canada the exception?
in which case, why do they go that way?

The thing that most surprised me about that play was even though michigan
the zone several times before the next whisle, none of the defencemen gave
turco his stick to replace the stub that he had left.  I would hope that they
were at least aware that their goaltender's stick was broken.
Avrom Litin                    University of Illinois at Chicago
[log in to unmask]                           Department of Chemistry
[log in to unmask]                                Mail Code 111
[log in to unmask]                            845 W. Taylor St
72567,[log in to unmask]                  Chicago IL 60607-7061
OS/2 in '92, Warp in '95             Windows 95 might ship in 96