Sender:
From:
"Anthony J. Frolik" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 1995 08:30:17 -0600
What a finish.  The Bulldogs, down by two in the third, capped their
second straight comeback win with a goal from Rod Aldoff at 0:34 of the
overtime period to beat the second place Denver Pioneers 5-4 at the DECC
last night.  Both teams played well for most of the game, Denver's
exception being too many penalties, UMD's being lapses in the second and
early third.  With UMD down 4-3 late in the game, I was wondering about
when to pull Lendzyk.  Then at 18:22, Denver's Petri Gunther took a
penalty, and I thought, well, now they won't have to pull Lendzyk until
maybe 30 seconds.  Just 9 seconds later, Erik Andersson took another
penalty for checking from behind, and the Bulldogs were set for the rest
of the game.  At 19:14 the Dogs tied it up, but couldn't put another one
in before regulation time ran out.  There should have been another
checking from behind penalty at the end of regulation on Denver, but it
was not called.  The Bulldogs had about 30 seconds of power play left in
the overtime, and just after the penalty had expired, Rod Aldoff's shot
was mostly stopped by Jim Mullin, but the puck trickled past him and in
to the net for the game winner.  The Dogs had a goal disallowed in the
third when, in a scramble in front of the net, the puck was lost for a
second by one of the referees, and he apparently blew his whistle.  At
the time, the crowd was pretty loud, so it was hard to tell whether he
had, but, you have to trust them I guess.  There were 4 penalties called
in the third, all against Denver.  Same two teams tonight at the DECC,
7:05 Central, 6:05 for those of you in Denver.

Scoring summary:
UMD     0  2  2  1 - 5
DU      0  3  1  0 - 4
First Period
no scoring

Second Period
1. UMD  Federenko 14 (Lidster, Peluso)          01:04
2. DU   Koch 2 (Host, Bjork)                    02:30
3. DU   Laaksonen 8 (Dairon, Andersson)         05:08
4. UMD  Bolf 1 (Romfo)                          13:39
5. DU   Naylor 6                                18:58 sh

Third Period
6. DU   Smith 11 (McMillan)                     02:09
7. UMD  Federenko 16 (Lidster, Larson)          08:27 pp
8. UMD  Rybar 5 (Aldoff, Fitzgerald)            19:14 pp

Overtime
9. UMD  Aldoff 9 (Fitzgerald, Federenko)        00:34

Penalties:
UMD    9 for 18 minutes
DU    17 for 34 minutes

Shots:
UMD     09  19  15  01 - 44
DU      11  09  12  00 - 32

Goalies:
UMD
Lendzyk (32 shots - 28 saves)

DU
Mullin (44 - 39)

Power plays - UMD 2 for 10, DU 0 for 2
Referees - Shepherd, Krieger  Linesman - Klosowski
A - 4,828

Anthony J. Frolik                            University of Minnesota Duluth
Go Bulldogs!                                    5-11-2 WCHA, 8-12-2 Overall
            My views are not representative of the University.