Sender:
From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 1995 08:44:39 -0700
Dave brings up some good points, but his concern that all players given
free transfer would go to powerhouses is not well founded IMHO.  One
could just as easily see someone quite talented at a "powerhouse" who is
not getting playing time wanting to transfer elsewhere in order to be
better able to showcase talent and participate.

The bottom line for me is that division one athletes are an exploited
class.  Coaches have free movement.  Schools profit from the efforts of
players, paying more or less attention to the student part of
student-athlete depending on the school.  There should be some tampering
provision to prevent raiding which is a legitimate concern, but I cannot
support any restrictions on transfers while coaches enjoy free movement
without penalty.

this is a complicated issue and has all the makings of a lengthy thread
with interesting insights from this group to come.

Arthur Berman  [log in to unmask]
GO BU!!!