Sender:
From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Nov 1994 04:53:43 -0500
Responding to msg by [log in to unmask] (Mike Machnik)

>Unfortunately, a very bad officiating job darkened what
>was a strong  comeback by the host team, as both of the
>final two UNH goals were tainted.  Officiating in
>Hockey East is very good almost every night, IMO, and I
> almost never complain about it...but this deserves
>mention because it  directly affected the outcome of
>the game.

I did not mention it in my game review since it did not effect
the outcome of the BU-NU game, but since Mike brought up the
officiating in Hockey East this year...

The delay of game penalty given to Derek Herlofsky was the
result of Rich Fowkes not doing a good job.  The puck had been
dumped into the BU zone by NU and a BU player (Thornton ?) and
a NU player were both going for it as it went behind the BU
net.  The BU player was knocked into the backside of the net by
the NU player which caused the net to be dislodged *forward*.
BU gained control of the puck and play went into neutral center
ice.  Fowkes did not notice the net, but Derek did and he
pushed it to get the officials attention, which he did.
Fowkes immediately called Derek for delay of game, despite BU
having control of the puck in the neutral center ice zone.
There was no reason for Derek to dislodge the net, but Fowkes
did not even bother to find out why Derek had moved the net.
By the way, when the net was dislodged it was *very* noticable
to everyone in that end of the arena *except* for the
officials.

In the third period the same net was again dislodged and again
no official noticed.  This time as play continued up ice Veisor
put the net back himself, apparently afraid of getting a delay
of game penalty himself.  Again the officials failed to notice
what was very obvious to many fans at that end of the arena.

offsides play and it appears that Hockey East officials have
*not* been very observant so far this season.  My wife Betty,
who is very biased and thinks Frank Cole is anti-BU and one of
the worse referees in Hockey East, has been so upset with the
officiating that she wants to *have* Cole referee a BU game!
Unfortunately (maybe), Cole has been refereeing ECAC games so
far this year.

Sean Pickett     -     Go BU Terriers, 1994 Hockey East
Champions!