Sender:
From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 1994 12:36:11 EDT
Brian writes:

>The T-U's Bob Croce, apparently seeking revenge for being scooped by the Troy
>Record on the hiring of Dan Fridgen, reports that RPI will announce today that
>it is staying in the ECAC.
>
>[...]
>
>Interestingly, Bertagna also comments on the much-discussed academic index.
>Bertagna insists that it's up to each school to set its academic index, and up
>to RPI to lower it's index (huh?).

Ah, this confirms what I've heard from a few people on this here list.  The
academic index is apparently not a hard and fast rule, but more a "gentle-
man's agreement" between ECAC schools to admit only those players whose
academic performance is above or within a certain percentage of the "index",
however they come up with that number.  I guess this means that the RPI
administration could let the bottom fall out of their academic index if they
wanted to, and while they might be viewed somewhat suspiciously by the other
league members if they did so (particularly the Ivy League snobs), the ECAC
probably couldn't do much of anything about it.

Anyway, while I think a move to Hockey East would not necessarily be bad for
RPI, I'm happy to see them staying put.  On second thought, reflecting on
that 9-1 disaster at the end of last season, maybe I'm not so happy :-(
--
Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '94.5