Sender:
From:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 1994 04:36:13 GMT
Comments:
Warning -- original Sender: tag was [log in to unmask]
Well here is my "unofficial" preview of Placid this weekend.

Harvard v. Brown

Brown has been slumping of late. Even though they came back and beat
Vermont after losing the first one, Brown's only win as of late that was
of note was the one against RPI, where they thoroughly dominated.

Brown was helped last year in that they did not face Harvard since Nov.
And the team was decidely playing much more differently. This year however
it seems that the Brown team has been the same from start to finish.

Harvard was burdened last year with a late season slump. This year, it
doesn't seem to be occurring for them.  They have 4 strong lines, and a
suppportive defense that can carry the puck.  They are though hampered
by the outburst of goals, and can be set back that way.  The power play
definitelly favors Harvard here, as they are in the top.

Harvard looks like a strong team here in Placid, and are really playing
for a first round bye in the NCAA's.  A championship win here, and they
are pretty much assured of a 2 seed. If BU falters, they will be a 1 seed
if they win the championship. If Harvard does not win the championship,
they are probably a 3 or 4 seed in the East.  They must lose horribly
in both games for them to be a 5 or 6 seed in the West. I don't see this
happening.

Brown pretty much must win it all for a shot at the NCAA title. One loss
and it looks like it's over for Brown.

Clarkson v. RPI

This should be a classic.  Both teams are playing for an NCAA berth,
and the winner is probably assured of one.

The loser of this game MUST win the consolation game in order to even be
considered for the NCAA field.

As for the game itself, it is a repeat of last year. Except that everyone
on RPI's team has been here before, and some of Clarkson's players haven't.
You have to believe that the Engineers are going to be better accustomed to
the larger ice surface that was a big factor for them last year. Clarkson
should also be helpped by the larger ice surface. both teams have speedy
forwards that should open up the area, and the difference in last year's
game at Placid is that Clarkson dominated the corners of the rink, and
took almost every loose puck in each corner.

Currie and Little must have strong games.  Currie has been very hot lately
and should continue to be.  Little got a wakeup call on Friday night against
Union.  He is now hungry, and sharp.

The defense has to play a big role. Will the RPI defense be banged up still?
Jon Pirrong is definitely out for this weekend, so that leaves Powers with
the choice of Rolanti or Askew on defense, and Layzell should be back.
If Askew is on defense, who becomes the shadowman for RPI? Will the defense
be better in the corners than last year?

For Clarkson, Brian Mueller is the key. He must be able to be free and handle
the puck for the Knights. If he does not have a good game with the puck,
it could be a long night for the Knights.  Will Clarkson dominate the
corners again in the defensive end?

This one is a tough call, and should provide some interesting hockey.

Some observations and points:
1) A Harvard non-title could result in the Top 2 seeds in the East being
Hockey East teams again.  Only a powerful performance by Clarkson and RPI
could prevent this.

2) The luge is closed! I can't believe it! Just when I was going for the
second straight WRPI luge title too! But the bobsled's open......

3) The Clarkson-RPI game is at 8PM. The exact reasoning is that when people
leave work on Friday at 5PM, they still would have time to get to the game
and buy tickets if they did not have any. If the Harvard-Brown game is at
8PM, then people getting out of work at 5PM on Friday ccould not get the game
in time for the start from the Boston or Providence araea.

4) I'm looking forward to seeing how the bands perform for each team.
In a close race llast year, Brown edged Clarkson, and RPI beat Harvard. I think
the marching in from th street gave Brown the victory. And as always,
the Clarkson band is impressive.

5) I will restrain from predictions, but I think that this tournament
will feature some great hockey with the victor of the tourney getting a
3 seed in the East.

6) The ECAC banquet is Thursday evening.
The awards to be handed out are:
Player of the Year
Best defensive forward
Best defensive defensemen
Coach of the year
Rookie of the year
And the allll-ECAC team

I would have to say that the favorites are:

Player of the Year:
Steve Martins   Harvard
Brian Mueller   Clarkson

Defensive Forward:
Kelly Askew     RPI
Chris Baird     Harvard

Defensive Defensemen:
Rod Pamenter    Colgate
Lou Body        Harvard

Coach of the Year:
Bruce Delventhal        Union
(is there a doubt here?)

Rookie of the Year:
Tim Thomas      Vermont
martin St. Louis        Vermont
Ashlin Halfknight       Harvard
Mike Harder             Colgate

See y'all at the bobsled run.
*  Jayson Moy RPI '89 '93       * One of the Voices of Rensselaer Engineer    *
*  [log in to unmask]                 * Hockey, Baseball, Football, and Basketball  *
*  The "J Man"                  * on Crystal Clear FM Radio, 91.5FM WRPI, Troy*