Sender:
From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 1994 09:24:18 EST
Sorry, no report on the series.  I threw my clipboard into the stands on Friday
and vowed to stop taking notes for the remainder of the weekend.  But I'll
comment generally, and supply a box, courtesy of the T-U.

RPI/Union 3/13/94

First Period
1. RPI Pasco (Hamelin)
2. Union O'Flaherty (Sicinski)
3. RPI Hamelin (Clarke, Rochon)
4. RPI Richardson (Regan)
5. RPI Regan (Brick, Rochon)

Second Period
6. RPI Richardson (Hamelin)
7. Union Albert (Jiampetti)
8. RPI Hamelin (Pasco, Clarke)
9. RPI Richardson (Regan)
10. RPI Richardson ((Regan)
11. Union Jiampetti (Holbrough, Albert)

Goalies:
Union: Gallant 10-9-2 (38 shots, 31 saves); Villa 5-4
RPI:  Little 18-8-4 (21-19); Tamburro 3-2

Observations:

1. Neil Little did his best Jeckyl/Hyde imitation this series.  Friday night
saw Little play his worst game of the season, with 3 of the 4 Union goals
classified as "soft".  I was amazed that Buddy didn't pull Little after the
fourth Union goal, a particularly abysmal score where he lost the puck.  But
to Powers' credit he stuck with Neil and Little didn't allow any more scores
the remaining period and a half.  I think that restored his confidence and
led to his resounding performance Saturday night, his best of the season.
Someone told me that Little has NEVER had a shutout his entire career,
including his high school days.  Well he lost the shutout again midway through
the third on a typically lucky shot that caught the corner of the net.

Sunday night Neil got rid of the shutout anxieties early letting in the first
Union goal off a 2 on 1.  Not a "soft" goal, but not an automatic score either.
After the score though Little became an animal in the crease.  Not only did
he refuse to allow any pucks to cross his zone, he didn't allow any Union
players whatsoever.  At least 3 Union players got to know Little's pugnacious
side intimately, and I'd add they all came out on the short side.  Will Little
re-experience his Friday night funk at Lake Placid?  Don't think so.  He WILL
be ready.

2. Overall RPI's performance Saturday was almost perfect.  I don't think
they made any defensive mistakes.  Save this one for the highlight film.
Friday night Union's forwards, particularly Ford, were able to camp out in
front of Little; Saturday and Sunday the Union forwards were driven to the ice.
By the same token Friday RPI seemed to have forgotten the value of the screen
in front of the net.  Saturday and Sunday Wayne Clarke made it tough for the
Union goalies to see the puck, and the rest of the forwards simply collapsed
the Union defense in on both Villa and Gallant.

3. Sunday night was almost as good, the only big defensive mistake was the
first Union goal off the 2 on 1.

4. Players that deserve mention:
Patrick Rochon, defense.  Rochon played his best of the year.  His play in the
first periods in all three games was outstanding.  Saturday and Sunday his
hitting set the tone.  You'd never know he was a small defenseman.

Brian Richardson, forward.  Not much on Friday, hat trick on Sunday.  With
Pasco a little inconsistent this weekend once again Richardson shows he is
the most skilled offensive player on the team.  Sunday night Richardson got
another of his rink-wide rush and scores, I believe his fourth this year.  When
Richardson scores, it's a foregone conclusion that RPI will win.  Too bad no
one had any hats to throw after his third goal on Sunday night.

3. Kelly Askew: It was hard to tell that he was a guest defenseman for the
series.  He may have carried the puck more, but it was the same old Kelly.
Just shadow the Union scorers, harass, stop puck movement, ruin any semblence
of offensive flow.  Despite the injuries, RPI did not look short on defense.
The rest of the defense also played well with Bartel quietly effective, and
Pirrong having a great game on Saturday until his injury.  The best example of
the defense's play was the trouble that Union experienced with its forecheck.
The break-out play has started to get in gear, and there were very few
occasions when Union could steal the puck in the RPI defensive zone.

4. Penalty kill: pretty good.  The Engineers seem to have decided to play
aggressively with the man disadvantage and it's starting to reap dividends.

5. Rolanti: only because it's his first real ice time of the season.  Didn't
embarass himself.

6. The woman violin player.  When she plays "O Canada" and "The Star Spangled
Banner" RPI wins, 5-0 to be exact, including the blow-out against U Mass
Lowell.  Every fan was praying during warm-ups on Sunday that she'd get the
call for the anthems.

Union:
6. They are going to earn home ice next season.  Overall their mistakes were
the typical young team ones: a million off-sides, inability to win face-offs,
inability to adjust your mindset after the emotion wears off.  Freshman Ford
has the potential; Friday night he was a force, a finisher in the Brian Farell
(Harvard) mode.  Saturday and Sunday he disappeared, I'm guessing as a result
of the attention from Askew et. al.  Speaking of disappearing, where were the
Union fans on Sunday night?  Lots of empty seats in the visitor's section.

Injuries: Cuthbert's "twisted knee" didn't seem too bad on Sunday.  No sign
of trouble during warmups and his play during the game was unhindered.
Cuthbert got in his share of shots in the corners, unfortunately his play was
interrupted by several stays in the sin bin.  Involved in the key play of the
game.  I would think Pirrong and Layzell should be available on Friday with
Pirrong's injury being called a "twisted ankle" instead of a sprain.  Didn't
see Layzell skate on Sunday but hopefully Jason's report is correct.

The Question
Which leads me to my question for the rules mavens out on the list.  In the
first period Neil Little was playing a little tentatively when Union's
Holbrough runs him (actually I don't think it was intentional, just a rookie
mistake in the heat of battle.)  Anyway Little takes offense and becomes the
reincarnation of Billy Smith (we were calling him "Neil Smith" throughout the
game).  Holbrough gets punished by Little, and then Cam Cuthbert shows up to
virtual pummel Holbrough to the ice.  After play had cooled off, the refs
dole out the penalties.  Much to my amazement, no one gets a 5, not to mention
a game DQ.  Instead the penalties are as follows:

RPI, minors to Cuthbert and Little (served by Matthews.)  Two men in the box.
Union, double minor to Holbrough, one man in the box.

Result: teams skate 5 on 5 for the duration of the penalties.  I am confused.
I assumed that since RPI had 2 men in the box and Union had only 1 (serving a
double minor) that Union would be granted a power play for the first two
minutes with RPI getting a powerplay during the Union player's second two
minute penalty.  Can someone explain what happens according to the rules in
this situation?
                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"
        Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris