ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"D. B. Doucette" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:27:39 -0500
"scoring goals is obviously not one of our strengths" ?

Then, sorry to say, you might kiss this upcoming postseason goodbye.

Why ?  Two reasons in my book:

1.  Maine's roster presently is too small and not physical enough at forward
and/or center, or unwilling, to play "crash the net".

How often lately do you see a Maine player able to, or willing, to park
himself in the slot in front of opposing goaltenders ?  Those that do, they
aren't there for long, as they are being outmuscled by defenders who are
larger than our forwards.

Come to think of it, can anyone think of a recent Maine player who in their
career could have been described as a "true power forward" (ala the Cam
Neely role ?)  Not quite the makeup of a Walsh-coached team or that of
Whitehead to feature such a player on each year's squads, eh ?
Hey, if you wanted one, you can recruit one.  (I thought Moore would develop
into that role, but, alas)

Maybe we could try recruiting shorter goaltenders and taller forwards ?

2.  They tend to sit on leads they do get because "we have good defense".

Well, we all know the old saw about "what does a prevent defense prevent ?"
 Is there something wrong in exploiting an opponent and run up the score ?
If you concentrate on playing defense, you will tend to retreat to the
defensive zone.

Maine CAN score goals in bunches, if unleashed.  But, hey, coach the team to
retreat into their shell after pounding opponents in two straight games by
scores of 6-2 and 8-4.  The result next game ?  A nil-nil standoff.  Why
couldn't the momentum stay in "attack" mode ?

Exciting being associated with Maine ?  That ended with the last 1:34 played
in Boston this April.

I think I'll sit and watch Miracle on DVD again this weekend, and feel good
about hockey for a little while.  Either that, or the Three Stooges marathon.

Happy New Year !

Dan