From:
Gary Hatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary Hatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1993 13:46:29 -0600
        Hello,
        I thought I might try to give a little historical insight on this.
Years back when John Marriucci was coaching the Gophers, most other teams
in college hockey relied heavily on Canadians.  Many people thought that
there was no way a program could compete using mainly american players
out of high school.  Marriucci started recruiting Minnesotans for two reasons:
1. To promote USA and Minnesota hockey.  If the kids in H.S. knew they had a
Div I school to go to, they would be encouraged to stay in H.S. as opposed
to running off to Canada to play juniors.  In addition, this would increase
the quality and popularity of the H.S. game in the state.  Many people credit
the high quality of the MN product of the years to John Marriucci.
In fact, the 1980 Olympic team had 10 Minnesotans on it.
2.  Since Minnesota was the only school doing this, Marriucci started the
trend where the Gophers virtually monopolized the top players in the state.

Everything was great until the mid 80's.  Around this time, the quality of
hoocky in other parts of the U.S. (esp. Mass.) "caught up" to the Minnesota
product.  Some even argue that the qualtiy out east now superior to the MN
product.  Herb Brooks warned of this around 1985 when he asked that the MN
High school league losen up its restrictions on the number of games played
and on the eligibility of off-season leagues.  For example, any league which
whould prevent a kid from playing baseball in the spring would frowned upon.
If a kid played hockey in such a league, he would be ineligable to play H.S.
hocky.  Also, the high school season is only about 20 games plus the tournament.
     I understand the season in longer out east and that the kids play many
more games in a year than they do in Minnesota..

Nevertheless, MN remained a hotbed of college hockey recruiting.  While the U
continued to recruit only Minnesotans, UMD recruited principally in the state
and signing one or two canadians a year so that they could compete.(Remember,
the Gopher get most of the top recruits.)
Herbs Brooks entered the scene and sought to bring Saint Cloud State to DIV I
so as to promote more Minnesota hockey.  Woog and others supported this move
and helped secure legislative funding to build the new arena.(Or something
like that.)  The next thing you know, Herb Brooks in gone, Craig Dahl comes in
and anouces that he has signed several(Three I think) Canadians to tenders.
So Woog shot his mouth off.  That's the story.
        Now the Gophers are struggling to remain dominant using only Minnesota
players and the pressure is beginning to build.  The media is begining to
suggest that unless the Gophers go to Canada or Mass. to get some "Snipers",
they will never win a National Championship.  Woog continues to resist this
pressure and has made only two concessions: 1  If some kid from outside Minn
is interested in playing for the Gopher, he won't be discouraged.(This his
how Frank Pieterangelo(SP?) ended up here).
2.  At some future date, the policy of recruiting in the state only may have
to be abanded, however, he(Woog) does not believe this is time.

        Why should the Gophers continue with this apparently provincial
policy?  I believe thay should for the following reasons.
1.  Recruiting,  right now the Gophers get most of the top players in the state
The last six Mr. Hockeys have played for the Gophers.  This year, the most
likely winner of that award is Jason Godbout, he has already signed with the
Gophers.  If the Gophers abandone their policy, they will lose a great thing
that is the ability to call themselves "Minnesota's Pride on Ice."  I don't thin
this makes the U better that UMD or SCSU, its simply the U's thing and it
works for the U.
2.  Contrary to what people are suggesting, I think the evidence is very strongt
   hat an all Minnesota team can be very competative.  In the last 8 years,
the Gophers have always made the final 8 in the NCAA's.  In the last 2 years,
they have one MacNaughten Cup and one Broadmore Trophy.  furthmore,
Minnesota H.S. is producing several great talents.  There are 6 minnesotans
on the US olympic team, three of them played for the Gophers.  No longer is
Minnesota Hockey so good that Gopher fans can expect to compeat for the
National Title every year.  However, it will take more than a couple of
down years to convince me that fundamental changes are needed.

        I wrote this from memory so certainly I got few facts wrong, the
jist of it is true though.  An afterthought, obviusly the fans of UMD and
SCSU bitterly redent the Gophers calling themselves "Minnesota's Pride
on Ice".  This is just fine, it makes for some great rivalries.

                                Gary Hatfield
                                "RAH! RAH! SKI U MAH! RAH! RAH! RAH!"